If your broadband provider uses coaxial cable to deliver bandwidth, it means you have a DOCSIS modem.
For those unversed, DOCSIS is short for “Data Over Cable Service Interface Specifications” In simple words, it’s the interface standard that determines the way a modem receives data signals from an internet service provider and converts it into the internet connection that you use to browse the web.
DOCSIS 3.1 is the latest standard in the new-gen modems. It was developed to replace the old standard DOCSIS 3.0. There are several advantages of using a modem with DOCSIS 3.1 tech. Firstly, it offers fast and reliable internet speeds up to 10 Gbps. Secondly, it makes your modem future-proof and ensures better performance than DOCSIS 3.0.
If you are curious to know more about DOCSIS 3.1 tech and how it is good for modems, you should give this article a read.
How is DOCSIS 3.1 Faster?
DOCSIS 3.1 uses advanced signal techniques which make it much faster than DOCSIS 3.0. The advanced signal technique makes use of a frequency spectrum and extends the available spectrum for transferring upstream and downstream data.
It is based on a higher-order modulation which is more efficient and allows faster data transfer. It splits data into smaller bits, so it can be transmitted across the frequency band.
DOCSIS 3.1 standard is often referred to as “future safe.” This is why many users are upgrading their modems to DOCSIS 3.1 standard. It is future safe because it gives you more time to update your modem.
Let’s say, your ISP updates the internet speeds in your neighbourhood and you are using a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. You will have to upgrade your modem to support the upgraded speeds. But if you have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, you don’t need to worry about anything.
DOCSIS 3.1 offers up to 10 Gbps download speeds and 2 Gbps upload speeds. Even if your ISP is offering 1 Gbps speed, you should upgrade your modem to make the most of your internet connection.
What is DOCSIS 3.1 Capable Of?
Being the latest standard, DOCSIS 3.1 is far better than DOCSIS 3.0. It offers the latest capabilities in digital communication technologies including high modulation orders, LDPC encoding, 10 Gbps downstream speed, support of QoS, and more.
DOCSIS 3.1 can also be deployed on the HFC network, without having to upgrade the existing plants. It can enable service providers to offer Highers speeds to customers immediately even before making minor upgrades. Once those minor upgrades are taken care of, the speeds will match or rival fiber speeds. It also ensures a better and smoother service during the entire process.
Another great thing about DOCSIS 3.1 is the Active Queue Management which reduces network delays significantly. This proves to be advantageous in applications like video conferencing, online gaming, etc. That’s not all, but it also enables you to download movies without lagging.
Even the graphics are displayed at higher resolutions. The fact that cable internet is so widely available, having a DOCSIS 3.1 modem can prove to be highly beneficial. It will ensure super-fast speeds, so you can have a great time on the internet.
Benefits of DOCSIS 3.1 Technology
DOCSIS 3.1 technology is associated with several benefits. There’s a reason why users are upgrading modems to the latest standard. Besides it also provides great value for cable operators of broadband services.
Some of the major benefits of DOCSIS 3.1 technology are:
1. Speed: Unlike DOCSIS 3.0 or other older standards, DOCSIS 3.1 supports up to 10 Gbps downstream and 1-2 Gbps upstream network capacity.
2. Energy Efficient: DOCSIS 3.1 tech is also known to enhance cable modem energy efficiency. This is possible because of advanced energy management protocols.
3. Better Experience: It uses Active Queue Management to reduce network delay during peak traffic hours in the home network. This in turn improves responsiveness for applications such as video conferencing, online gaming, etc.
4. Higher Capacity on Existing Networks: It significantly increases network capacity. It can transmit up to 50% more data over existing HFC networks. Why should you get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem? By now you must have understood how DOCSIS 3.1 tech is better than other standards. If you want better internet speeds, you should opt for a DOCSIS 3.1 modem.
Besides it also has other advantages which are:
1. Security: Modems with DOCSIS 3.1 tech are likely to offer better online security. This is especially true when you are purchasing a modem-router combo device.
2. Speed: DOCSIS 3.1 offers greater speeds than DOCSIS 3.0. This makes it a better choice for high-speed internet plans. If you are planning to get gigabyte speeds, you should go for DOCSIS 3.1. This way you can make the most of your internet connection.
3. Long-term Use: DOCSIS 3.0 modems are still not outdated yet. But it’s better to have the latest standard, so you don’t have to upgrade your modem sooner. DOCSIS 3.1 is future safe.
Why DOCSIS 3.1 is better than DOCSIS 3.0?
DOCSIS 3.1 is an upgraded standard of DOCSIS 3.0. So it’s obvious that it has better features than its counterpart. The major difference between DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0 is the speed. While the former is 10 times faster than the latter. This proves to be useful if you are opting for a high-speed internet plan.
Most cable service providers offer gigabit plans with speeds up to 1000 Mbps. If you want to get such high speeds, you will need a better and more advanced modem. In this case, DOCSIS 3.1 makes the best choice. It is the latest standard available in the market.
Last but not the least, DOCSIS 3.1 modems are also more secure than DOCSIS 3.0 modems. It offers improved security features in the form of enhanced encryption, so you can browse safely.
DOCSIS 3.1 being the latest standard proves to be a better choice in every aspect. If you want to make the most of your internet plan, you should upgrade your modem to DOCSIS 3.1. Plus, it is future-proof.